Tuesday, 1 August 2017

Zucchini - Courgette, Popped Black Beans and Feta Muffins

I did have plans on making some Green Grass scones that I had bookmarked, but with the courgettes coming from my garden fast and furiously, I decided to use some of them for these Savoury Courgette, Popped Black Bean Muffins.

I had made the popped black beans over the weekend as I was curious to see what the fuss was about this trendy food gimmick of popping beans such as black beans, chickpeas and kidney beans.  Once made, I was not quite sure how to use them as not like your usual popped corn kernels that are pretty like snowflakes.  These popped black beans looked a little messy and not particularly photogenic.  
Also these Popped Black Beans were not really crunchy liked popped corn, but soft inside and a little crisp on the outside.  I didn't dislike them, but I don't think it is something that I would make at home for us again.  I'd only make it again to share it with curious guests, but then I would try a different recipe. Since making these popped black beans, I have found two other recipes that look a little more tasty.  The recipes are from Community Food Coop (2011) and Adora's Box (2012)*. I won't share the one that I used from a cookbook and I won't pretend that the popped black beans is my idea either.
I will say one positive thing about the popped black beans though, they make for an interesting addition to a salad dish scattered over.  I don't think they really add anything in flavour, but more in colour and texture.  

Hence the reason, I decided to scatter some of the Popped Black beans over these Savoury Courgette, Feta Muffins; and some were scattered with pumpkin seeds .
The savoury Courgette, and Feta Muffins were delicious though, we are still eating them - three days later.

I am sharing the Savoury Savoury Zucchini - Courgette, Popped Black Beans and Feta  Muffins with Treat Petite hosted by The Baking Explorer and CakeyBoi


Savoury Zucchini - Courgette, Popped Black Beans and Feta Muffins
Makes 12 or 8 mini loafs
For the Popped Black Beans* 
Ingredients
2 eggs
100ml milk
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 medium courgettes, grated
75g - 100g feta, cubed
275g self raising flour
Handful of Pumpkin seeds
Handful of popped Black beans

Method
Whisk eggs in a bowl, then stir in all the ingredients except for the flour and baking powder and cherry tomatoes.
Then sift in the flour and stir carefully to combine.
Distribute between the 12 muffin cases, top pumpkin seeds and  popped black beans. 
Bake at gas mark 4/180oc for 20 - 25 minutes or until risen and golden.
Best enjoyed on the day, but good for up to 3 days.


8 comments:

  1. You are sharing such delightfully varied courgette recipes. I am feeling very inspired - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Kari. I may take a break over the w/e with the courgette recipes and start again on Monday with a new harvest.

      Delete
  2. Well you are far ahead of me in the food trends as I have never heard of popped black beans but I am quite intrigued and love any savoury muffins so these sound really interesting and look rather pretty too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am surprised Johanna as you are ahead of me with food trends esp. as Australia is ahead compared to the UK in fusion food due to its diverse hitory. Also you know of fritters/patties in sandwiches - they are new to me, but I want to make some now for work. Hope you get to try the popped beans. I actually dusted some with the Tasmanian Pepper Salt you sent and they were elevated to something more enjoyable.

      Delete
  3. Popped black beans is new to me too but I saw a recipe with guacamole which looked like something I would try... Interesting. Salty garlicky and crispy sounds good to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray, do hope you get to try the popped black beans, but really don't feel like your missing out on anything, they are not that amazing. As for guacamole. I do like a good guac!

      Delete
  4. These look delicious, I love the mix of flavours and textures! Thanks for linking up to #TreatPetite

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kat, these really were yummy.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You