Friday, 7 April 2017

Black Rainbow Chard Chili Beans

I harvested some rainbow chard from the garden plot at the weekend.  

I decided to make something I consider to be easy fare, a vegetarian and vegan black bean chili with the addition of rainbow chard.  
This Black Bean Chili was surprisingly quite nice with the addition of effectively what are just greens, albeit colourful rainbow chard greens.  
The black comes from the beans known as turtle beans.  Normally, I prefer chili a day or two later when the flavours have matured.  But this time, we ate it the same day as it was made and a day later and it was good to eat.  
I am sharing a bowl of this Black Bean Rainbow Chard Chili with Healthy Vegan Fridays by Rock My Vegan Socks and V Nutrition;  Cook Once Eat Twice hosted by Searching For Spice. and finally CookBlogShare hosted by Hijacked by Twins.

Other Black Bean Chili recipes you will find on my blog

Beetroot Black Bean Chili
Chocolate and Black Beans Chili
Pineapple and Black Beans Stew
Pumpkin, Black Beans and Leek Chili
Smoky Black Beans
Red Pepper and Black Beans Chili


Black Rainbow Chard Chili Beans 
Serves 6
Ingredients
250g Black Beans, soaked overnight


4 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 medium onions, finely sliced
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 celery stalk, thinly sliced
2 fresh red chillies, sliced
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground coriander

1/2 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
1 x 400g can of tomatoes, chopped

Rainbow chard, roughly chopped including stems (or other greens like kale or spinach)
Salt and pepper to taste
Method
In a wide pan, cook beans in water until tender.  Drain and set aside.
In a saucepan, warm the oil on medium heat.  Add the onions and garlic and saute until the onions become soft.  

Add the celery and chilli, then cover and cook for about 5 minutes.
Stir in the cumin, oregano, coriander, chilli flakes and season with salt and pepper to taste and cook for a few minutes for it to coat the oniony mixture.  
Then stir in the tomatoes, cook for 15 minutes or so until they have begun to disintegrate and break down.
Stir occasionally to keep the sauce from sticking to the pan.  

Then add in the black beans and the rainbow chard and cook for 20 minutes.
If it seems a little dry, add a little water or liquor from the cooked beans. 
Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.



24 comments:

  1. This looks delicious Shaheen! I'm jealous you have a garden where chard will grow. I always wanted a garden but it's not easy in a city. I'm totally with you, I like my chili a day or two later when all the flavors really settle in. I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary Ellen. Please don't be jealous of my garden, it needs so much work that it is not worth envying yet. Do try and grow some veg in pots, I used to do that first when I had a balcony, then i got postage size bit of land, before I got an allotment plot - hence the name of this blog. You will get a garden of your own one day, I know it.

      Delete
  2. So pretty...they look delicious!

    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds really good - I love the addition of rainbow chard and it adds a lovely splash of colour #CookBlogShare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mandy, yes - the rainbow chard def. splashes a simple dish with colour.

      Delete
  4. Good to see colorful food

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks gz. I hope your keeping well.

      Delete
  5. Mm, looks good. Always nice to see a recipe using chard as it's so easy to grow and so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Belinda, yes it is easy to grow - just shame i have to fight of the slugs for it.

      Delete
  6. Ooh, that sounds lovely. Black bean chilli is one of my favourite meals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa, Chili is a fabulous meal - i never tire of it.

      Delete
  7. This is such a pretty dish - rainbow chard is a beautiful topping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari. The rainbow chard def. elevates it

      Delete
  8. How do I love rainbow chard, let me count the ways! It's just the most beautiful vegetable out there I think (not to mention supremely tasty). I'm quite fond of chard and black beans together in vegan quesadillas, so I definitely need to put them together in chilli!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Joey, you do make me smile. It is a beautiful vegetable then I go gaga over purple food.

      Delete
  9. Way to make something otherwise monochrome and boring so pretty! Chili is definitely one of my favourite foods, but it just doesn't tend to photograph well. You managed quite well. Your chard is absolutely gorgeous! And it sounds delicious.
    Thanks for sharing at Healthy Vegan Fridays! I'm pinning & sharing. Hope you're having a great weekend =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kimmy. I agree its not easy to photograph chili, that is why I try and 'bling' it up as much as I can to make it more than ordinary.

      Delete
  10. Yummy! I love the colours that chard add to a dish! Sorry for the late commenting and thank you for sharing with #CookBlogShare x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kirsty. No need to apologise, I understand.

      Delete
  11. It looks delicious! It's great to have the first homegrown vegetables to cook with too. Thank you so much for sharing with #CookOnceEatTwice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Corina.
      I wish it was the first but its overwintering veg from last year. I will be digging it out soon and planting new seedlings to take its place.

      Delete
  12. You have so many delicious black bean recipes! I love beans, so I'm just going to have to try them all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so Much Amy. Very ambitious to try them all - do try some.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You