Tuesday, 4 April 2017

Black Butter and Charcoal Biscuits In My Kitchen

Mostly black things in my kitchen this month.  

This was not intentional, but more of a shopping happy accident - for some reason there seemed to be an overwhelming selection of dark edible things in my kitchen and I have no idea why, especially as Halloween is way off and I don't even have a black supper menu planned either, well not until now. 
Let me begin with this jar of Black Butter that I picked up the last time I was in Bristol from the a pop up market.  It is made from apples, cider, clack treacle, licorice and spices. This Black Butter is suitable for both vegetarians and vegans.   Its a jammy product that could compliment both sweet and savoury dishes.  If you like the sound of this, then you may also like to my homemade Sweet Black Sesame Seed Butter too. 

l saw these Charcoal Biscuits and picked them up for two reasons, they were available at a reduced price and secondly, curiosity.  I like trying new things.  Well, I disliked it, it was like eating ash.  The texture of these savoury plain biscuits to be eaten with cheese I guess, was just too gritty for my liking that I spat it out, honest.  
My one and only sister in law gave brought back this bottle of Sarab Date Liquorr a few years back from her holidays overseas.  I had forgotten about it, but now that I could it I am still unsure how to use it - any suggestions, fellow cocktail shakers!
l also have a packet of Tunisian dates in my fridge to eat as it or to throw into some flapjacks or bliss balls. 
I picked up this Lyles Black Treacle over Christmas with plans to make gingerbread cookies, it never happened, looking for other new recipe ideas so that I can crack open the lid.  Otherwise I think it may be a homemade BBQ glaze or gingerbread loaf or maybe even gingerbread cakes .
And a couple of jars.  One sweet: Cherry and Brandy Conserve that my mother in law gave to us over Christmas, this one has a groovy little spoon attached to it; and smooth Quince paste to be eaten with cheese. 
In an attempt to make more grain salad dishes, I have lots of grains to share.  First a packet Wild Rice Mix - I know exactly what I am doing with this, come the weekend. 
A packet of Black Quinoa and Black Rice.
A big bag of Pelican Rouge Ethiopie coffee beans.  This was gifted to me a couple of years back.  The packet got lost in the back of my kitchen cupboards and got all squished, but the contents well in tact.  D made some proper coffee over the weekend, ground the beans and all that.  I have to say, this coffee was one of the nicest I have had in a long time.  
I have some Sri Lankan Raw Red Rice which I will cook up the next time I make a curry style dinner. 
Toasted Giant Cous Cous - More grains for the lunch box. 
Some Tapioca  to make Pudding.  I hated tapioca when I was a child, but I am going to give it a go again to see if I like it now that I am much more older, especially as I don't mind chia seeds.  I do love the packaging of this brand.  
And finally the last black ingredient in my kitchen - Black Beans.  Over the weekend, I even made a Black Bean dish that I will share later in the week

I am sharing this with Bizzy Lizy Good Things for In My Kitchen series.  IMK was started by Celia of Fig Jam and Lime Cordial and its one of my favourite blog events to join in with as I get to nosy in other peoples kitchen, please do join in. 

26 comments:

  1. wow, I love your ingredients, I may say which one is my favorite - the quince paste, reminds me of home xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura, quince paste is a luxury in our home.

      Delete
  2. Hi there Shaheen and happy April to you. Thank you for the very kind shout out. Loving all the goodies in your kitchen this month. That black butter sounds amazing. I adore tapioca. Happy cooking. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lizzy for hosting IMK over the past few months, I wish you the best

      Delete
  3. That's quite a large selection all in black!

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Black rice, black quinoa, black beans are all familiar, but lately I've been seeing a lot of charcoal being used in baking. I saw charcoal crackers, and a few other items. I suspect my reaction might be similar to yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrea, its worth trying - you never know you may like charcoal

      Delete
  5. Hi Shaheen, you always have an abundance of interesting things in your cupboards ! I have a few black treacle recipes on my blog that you might like (not all are veggie) - the courgette bruschetta are nice, and the toffee and honeycomb look weird but aren't bad ! http://madhousefamilyreviews.blogspot.com/search?q=black+treacle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cheryl. Thanks for the recipe share. I will def.check them out and the honeycomb def. appeals - may give that a go.

      Delete
  6. Do you remember the Johnny Nice Painter going crazy over black in skits on the Fast Show - this reminds me of them. (Very silly really)

    Love all your dark and mysterious goodies. Would love to hear how you use the black butter. Am sorry to hear that the charcoal bikkies didn't agree as I am fascinated by the charcoal fad.

    I think maybe you could make an interesting middle eastern tahini or halva cake with the date liquor (but I don't really have a clue). Have you ever made ANZAC biscuits - they use golden syrup and it is ANZAC DAy on 25 April.

    And I love the tapioca lady (and all your grains) but am yet to be convinced I can come to love the stuff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Johanna, to be honest I had not watched the sketch you referred to and had to google it,I foudn it and found it quite amusing too (see below). Yes, I have heard charcoal is good for people who suffer from gluten intolerance and bloatedness. I was just curious and found it too gritty, but have to confess if I saw it on offer in a smoothie or something i would try again and maybe even a different brand of charcoal crackers. Thanks for the suggestion of Anzac biscuits I will consider it. Ah you are like me with tapioca, need more persuading.
      https://www.youtube.com/watchv=3w47BnyDYdQ&list=RDIIW9sL-Yf6Q

      Delete
  7. I'm definitely intrigued by the black butter, but not sure about the charcoal biscuits either, they look a bit intense. I use black treacle sometimes in my cabbage casseroles to add a bit of sweetness. I would like to try toasted giant couscous, and many other things in this post. Of course black beans are also quite frequently in my kitchen. By the way, I like black, so this post was very interesting. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks VegHog. I will share more about it when I crack it open and come to use it. Interesting to read how you use treacle, I will bare that in mind. Pleased to read you enjoyed this IMK edition, thank you.

      Delete
  8. wow what an interesting kitchen you have Shaheen this month. yes those charcoal biscuits look a bit weird. we used to eat tapioca as children. i think i liked it! mum didn't let us say no anyway:) I wonder what makes the quinoa quirky? :=)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sherry. Quirky Quinoa, haha

      Delete
  9. I ate tapioca custard as a kid and liked it well enough...always an interesting trip through your kitchen and I too will be curious about the black butter...Best to you and hope you're feeling well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks e.
      Tapioca custard, interesting. I think we had something similar, but it was more like rice pudding.

      Delete
  10. How funny - it might be unintentional but you certainly do have a lot of dark products! The toasted couscous (an exception to the colouring :-) ) interests me as I haven't seen that. I love the look of your date liquor too although would also be unsure of how to use it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari. Yes, it really was unintentional.
      I got the couscous from H&B very common in most high streets. I think the date liquer may go into a cake of sorts, but I am still looking for ideas.

      Delete
  11. So many fun black things in your kitchen! I'm very intrigued by the black butter especially.
    The black quinoa looks cool too! I'm not sure I've seen that before. I've seen the regular tan colour and red too, not sure I've seen black...
    I would have bought the charcoal biscuits too - much too interesting to pass up.
    And this is reminding me that I think I have some black rice that got stuck at the back of my cupboard that I should find and use up ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimmy, Yeah the black butter has intrigued many.
      Do try charcoal biscuits if you see them, I am hoping to try them again but a different brand where the charcoal may be a smoother.
      Yes do use up that black rice, i am hoping for more salad dishes this spring and summer.

      Delete
  12. Who knew there were so many black foods! I've not seen date liqueur but am intrigued about the cocktail possibilities. I was never a fan a tapioca growing up either, still don't like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gretchen, ah interesting to not that you still do not like tapioca :)

      Delete
  13. Shaheen, I see your wild rice hails from Canada. I get mine from Minnesota, not too far from there. Curious to know what you're going to make with it. I love the stuff! I'm glad you brought up tapioca, too. My husband enjoys tapioca pudding and I haven't made it for him in awhile. Was thinking your date liqueur would be good drizzled over it. :) Not sure what I'd combine it with in a cocktail though. Whiskey? Bourbon? Or use it in place of simple syrup? Let me know what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim. I am not sure either, but will blog it when I do make something with it.Thanks for the suggestions for the date liqueur, probably use it as a drizzle, but will see once I have opened up the botle.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You